School of the Biological Sciences Guide to IT and Computing
Options for remote access
- Within the University you can access your files on
Linux/UNIX servers such as the School servers using any of
the methods described on this site eg Samba, NFS, sftp, scp.
It it possible your network manager may need to adjust the firewall
at your end.
- You can always login to the main servers using ssh, and transfer
files on and off them with sftp or scp, even if connecting from
external networks (eg at home).
- To gain full access to University resources at home, or away, as if you were
inside the University you can apply to the University Computing Service
for a VPDN
- To gain access to restricted web sites you often need a Raven password,
which you also get from the University Computing Service.
- Your email software on your home computer or
mobile will work from anywhere as long as it is configured securely. You can
also always use the relevant webmail interface.