School of the Biological Sciences Guide to IT and Computing
Options for file transfer
- People often send files by email but this can be a problem or
impossible if the files are large. Some email servers will reject files larger
than a few MB even if these seem to work within Cambridge.
- You can leave files for others to collect in your web
site, using a password if you wish.
- You can move files and folders around and give access to other users
if you leave them in your directory (folder) on a Linux/UNIX server
using Samba, NFS or sftp to put
them there and get them off again. Some groups share data this way.
- You may wish to send files on a CD or DVD, which will also mean you have made a
- With larger datasets sometimes portable hard disks are now used eg
for sequencing data.
Using sftp or scp