skip to primary navigationskip to content

Wellcome Trust: claiming Open Access charges


Claiming Open Access Charges

This page describes how to claim back costs charged by publishers for placing papers on the UK PubMed Central website:

    1. Check that the journal to which you are submitting your article is compliant with Wellcome Trust open access policy at the SHERPA/FACT website. Please ensure that your article is published under a CC BY license if you wish to reclaim open access charges (please note CC:BY NC, CC BY NC-SA and CC BY NC-ND licences are NOT compliant with Wellcome Trust policy).

    2. Fill out a form (Open Access request form) with the requested information, and send to the address on the form. Please also include a copy of the original journal invoice.

    3. Once the application has been approved, pay any Open Access charges from a Departmental trading account - see your Departmental Finance Officer or Administrator to arrange this. Then, please send an internal invoice in sterling with the School of Biological Sciences as the customer (use cutomer code 1082) to:

Chad Pillinger, School of Biological Sciences, 17 Mill Lane, Cambridge CB2 1RX

Once we have this, the monies you have paid for Open Access charges will be reimbursed to your account.


If you need any further information on this process, or have any comments on the information on this website, please contact Chad Pillinger (; tel. 66905/66944).